Which are your favorite Adam Smith quotes?
Adam Smith, (baptized June 5, 1723, Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland—died July 17, 1790, Edinburgh), Scottish social philosopher and political economist. After two centuries, Adam Smith remains a towering figure in the history of economic thought.
Known primarily for a single work—An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations (1776), the first comprehensive system of political economy—Smith is more properly regarded as a social philosopher whose economic writings constitute only the capstone to an overarching view of political and social evolution.
20 Adam Smith Quotes
- Adventure upon all the tickets in the lottery, and you lose for certain; and the greater the number of your tickets the nearer your approach to this certainty. — Adam Smith
- All money is a matter of belief. — Adam Smith
- As soon as the land of any country has all become private property, the landlords, like all other men, love to reap where they never sowed and demand a rent even for its natural produce. — Adam Smith
- Consumption is the sole end and purpose of all production; and the interest of the producer ought to be attended to, only so far as it may be necessary for promoting that of the consumer. — Adam Smith
- Happiness never lays its finger on its pulse. — Adam Smith
- Humanity is the virtue of a woman, generosity that of a man. — Adam Smith
- It is not by augmenting the capital of the country, but by rendering a greater part of that capital active and productive than would otherwise be so, that the most judicious operations of banking can increase the industry of the country. — Adam Smith
- It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest. — Adam Smith
- Labour was the first price, the original purchase-money that was paid for all things. It was not by gold or by silver, but by labor, that all wealth of the world was originally purchased. — Adam Smith
10th of 20 Adam Smith Quotes
- Little else is requisite to carry a state to the highest degree of opulence from the lowest barbarism but peace, easy taxes, and a tolerable administration of justice: all the rest being brought about by the natural course of things. — Adam Smith
- Man is an animal that makes bargains: no other animal does this – no dog exchanges bones with another. — Adam Smith
- No complaint is more common than that of a scarcity of money. — Adam Smith
- No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable. — Adam Smith
- On the road from the City of Skepticism, I had to pass through the Valley of Ambiguity. — Adam Smith
- Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition. — Adam Smith
- The real tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations. — Adam Smith
- To feel much for others and little for ourselves; to restrain our selfishness and exercise our benevolent affections, constitute the perfection of human nature. — Adam Smith
- Virtue is more to be feared than vice because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience. — Adam Smith
- What can be added to the happiness of a man who is in health, out of debt, and has a clear conscience? — Adam Smith
- With the greater part of rich people, the chief enjoyment of riches consists in the parade of riches. — Adam Smith
Thank you for reading this collection of Adam Smith quotes, I hope you get inspired and take action now!
Please share with your friends on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter so that they are also inspired by this article using the button below.